Strategic Plan Framework 2019–2021
Preserve the legacy of the land and Hispano traditions
“Hands On History”
We will honor our Founder’s Intent to…
“RESTORE THE PAST to
ENRICH THE PRESENT and
ENDOW THE FUTURE”
Our Guiding Principles inform all key decisions and shape the way we treat guests, volunteers, staff, board members, and partners. LEARNING: We will bring people together to explore New Mexico’s history, create intergenerational programming, promote life-long learning, and reach students beyond the museum. STEWARDSHIP: We will be guardians of our collections, buildings, water, and historic landscape by adhering to museum best practices for care and preservation.
Commitment to Communities
We will forge partnerships that strengthen our communities and museum, provide learning opportunities for all, promote a diverse audience, and uphold the traditional New Mexican vecino concept of being a good neighbor. AUTHENTICITY: We offer meaningful experiences and quality programs based on historical accuracy and skilled interpretation. ACCOUNTABILITY: We will be honest, transparent and accountable in all aspects of our operations by following the highest ethical standards.
Develop the financial resources needed to advance our mission
- Provide the additional funds to accomplish this plan’s goals and objectives
- Develop a comprehensive advancement plan
- Recruit new Board members experienced with fundraising and advancement
- Select non-Board volunteers and stakeholders to serve on Board committees to help implement this advancement plan
- Develop and propose business plans with estimated return on investment for two new recurring revenue streams
Strengthen our programming and improve guest experiences
- Expand educational collections
- Increase outreach in schools & community
- Increase volunteer pool of 100 by 30%
- Increase staff and volunteer professional development
- Implement new programs based on the CLR
- Develop one new program a year enhancing non-festival tours and interpretation
Increase awareness of the Museum in all our communities
- Engage in three new unique partnerships
- Market the Museum for non-festival operations
- Execute our current social media strategy for specific markets
- Create six unique off-site events for friends and fund-raising
Improve the infrastructure and care of the Museum
- Develop a comprehensive facilities master plan that guides all needed infrastructure projects and facilities upgrades
- Identify and implement key projects that can proceed without a master plan
Key Performance Indicators
Increase in diversity of donors and size of average donation…Increase in percentage of operating budget from individual and corporate donations
Improved ratings on satisfaction surveys…Focus group feedback from volunteer listening sessions…Increase in size of volunteer corps
Increase in name recognition…Increase in member retention rate…Increase in size of audiences at mission-centered activities
Current master plan in use to begin project planning…Completion of prioritized facilities and infrastructure projects that do not require a master plan
Vision Elements — How we will look on December 30, 2021
- We have excellent educational programming that engages our audiences and accurately portrays a traditional and authentic past.
- We have a clear understanding of our prioritized infrastructure needs (with realistic costs) and are addressing them.
- We have a larger volunteer pool that is engaged, appreciated, and supportive of our programming, adding to the quality of our programs and the guest experience.
- Based on the Cultural Landscape Report and the Historic Structures Report, we have begun to implement key recommendations.
- We have a strong marketing and outreach program that increases the Museum’s audiences, supports fund development, and improves community engagement.
- There is a significant increase in awareness and excitement about Las Golondrinas within our communities.
- We have created a culture of development that engages the Board, staff, and volunteers.
- We have the financial stability to improve our educational programming, guest experiences, and infrastructure.